The new 1.3 version app now links existing print ads in major US newspapers and magazines back to August 2010 to not only their official campaign URL but also related web search results. This goes beyond the experiment announced back in November, when only a small range of print ads was Goggles-enabled and no web results were shown.
This is pretty significant as it shows how fast Google is able to move forward and claim a relatively new space where some highly specialized niche players were dominating the market. Services like Kooaba come to mind, which focuses on linking print media to online campaigns.
We are curious as always how this will evolve and if and when Google is going to extend this service internationally.
If you’re running Android go download Goggles from the Android Market and start experimenting.
A fair warning though if you love playing Sudoku, as this version of Goggles is a real spoiler of the game, see the video below and judge for yourself!
- Stuck On A Sudoku? Google Goggles Will Solve It For You [Video] (readwriteweb.com)
- Amazing. Google Goggles can now solve Sudoku puzzles (thenextweb.com)
- Google Goggles for iPhone Gains Ad Recognition and…Sudoku (macstories.net)
- Google Goggles gets faster, smarter and solves Sudoku (googlemobile.blogspot.com)
- Google Goggles Can Now Read Print Ads. Oh, And Play Freaking Sudoku! (techcrunch.com)